Organization and team topologies
Organization and team topologies is a great workshop activity for getting context about an organization and its teams. It is a great activity for understanding the business context, structure and teams.
Let´s participate on a collaborative activity to understand and map the organisation various teams, their missions and dependencies. The Vision is the ultimate goal. It is long-term thinking. You must describe it as a clear and concise statement that everyone understands and adhere to it with passion. The mission statement describes the team’s unique contribution towards the organisation vision.
With a clear vision and great team alignment and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved!
Step by Step
- Share and then write down the organisation vision
- List all the teams on the organisation, then write their mission. Color code if needed.
- Draw and then describe all teams’ dependencies
Below is a sample image for this activity.
- Sample Vision: “Our vision is to create the best experience for our online buyers.”
- Sample team mission – Customer Experience : Our mission is to provide all UI components that our e-commerce needs
- Sample team mission – Pay Champion: Our mission is to keep all payment related components under control while providing the best APIs for all our amazing feature teams
- Sample dependency (Customer Experience -> Pay Champion): creation, configuration and support of all payment related components
This activity is inspired on the book Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow by Matthew Skelton and Manuel Pais. Please consider using color and marks for identifying the types fo teams and its relationships.